logo_picture

Wednesday 29 June 2016

Wheelchair side bag

I recently got my power chair (post on that and my other mobility aids coming soon) and I soon realised how inconvenient it was to try and reach behind my chair to my handbag for items I needed. So I looked around at various bags that were designed for use with a wheelchair but there were two problems:
1. They were all expensive, i've found anything mobility related tends to cost double what you think it will cost, sad but true.

2. They are all really boring, the majority of bags I found were either plain navy, black or red with no unique patterns or designs.

So I decided to make my own. If your aware of my Etsy shop you will know I tend to have that attitude to most things, cant find one I like, ill make one!

My power chair is red and black so I decided I would use a fabric that would go well with those colours but also show my personality (this is no grandparent bag). I settled on black cotton skull and crossbones fabric. Ted also approves.

Next I decided I wanted pockets on the front for essentials, a covered pocket for my phone and a large hidden pocket on the back that I can keep my purse in and only I can get to it.
I machine sewed it all together using a zig zag stitch for extra strength........
and here's the finished product on my chair....

I'm going to be taking orders soon for custom made wheelchair side bags where you can choose fabric, size, pockets and add-ons such as Carabiners or loops to attach extra bits and bobs like sunglasses or umbrellas. Check back regularly for updates.
Let me know what you think or if you have any preferences or ideas for fabric in the comments.

Laura :)







No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

Popular Posts