logo_picture

Monday 13 June 2016

Hospital grab bag

last week i wrote a post about preparing mentally (or not) for an operation or hospital stay if you missed that post you can read it here

This post is about the practical side of things when preparing to go into hospital or when you're needing emergency medical attention at short notice. This is where a hospital grab bag comes in handy.

A hospital grab bag is literally a bag you keep nearby, ready packed should you need to go into hospital at very short notice.

For me this came out of necessity, having frequent falls, faints and Supraventricular tachycardia attacks meant that i was needing emergency medical treatment quite frequently and without any time to prepare. Once you have spent a night on a ward with nothing but the clothes you're wearing and a phone, then had to have tests in day old underwear you take precautions so you're never in that situation again!

So here's what i have in mine:
Obviously this is just meant to last me 1 or 2 days, by which time friends or family would hopefully have brought me supplies and more clothes.

I'll start at the top, with my clothes. You may not think what you wear to the hospital or in hospital matters. I'm not talking about been fashionable but practical, although if you can do both go for it!
I have cotton yoga bottoms with a wide stretchy waistband. This is particularly good if you're having surgery around your abdomen as you can roll the waistband down or have it higher so it doesn't rest on any stitches, scars, wounds etc. Cotton is a good choice as your probably going to be sat or laid down for a while and anything with top stitches, seams or rear pockets may be uncomfortable. Mine came from asda (cheap and cheerful) but they're no longer doing the same sort of trousers, the closest i've found is these from peacocks. The same idea goes for your top. i chose my biggest, baggiest most comfortable cotton t-shirt. 

You may be wondering why there's a photo of my bra in there too (this obviously will not apply to everyone!) this bra is special. It has clasps down the front instead of back, completely removable comfort straps and posture support in the back. This allows access for ECG pads, central lines etc... and makes it easier to get on and off. You can buy various versions and brands of them from amazon (UK) here, some go up to 44E and come in black, white and nude. I also take a pair of slipper socks with me (the kind with little grips on the bottom) due to my dysautonomia my hands and feet are ALWAYS cold. Slipper socks are easier to pack than full slippers and you can wear them as bed socks.
Essential toiletries, dry shampoo as you may not get a chance to wash your hair for a while, face wipes, body/baby wipes to freshen up, i also take lip tint, spot cream, soothing eye gel, just because i'm ill doesn't mean i have to look dead! I also have some miniature perfume roll ons that i got ages ago, unfortunately the store no longer exists but the closest thing to them are the perfumes from lush here.
Next on the essentials is something i should have probably mentioned first, medications!!! The hospital will eventually give you your medications, if your admitted onto a ward, however this may be after a long wait in A and E or at the next medication round. If your medications are time sensitive, rare or needed quickly it's a good idea to take your own and any supplements you may also be taking. Just make sure you inform the nurses / doctors taking care of you that you have taken them. Its also helpful for the hospital staff if they know exactly what you've been taking. If you want to be super helpful pack your repeat prescriptions. 

The next thing i personally consider an essential is sanitizers. 
I take alcohol hand gel, a miniature surface disinfectant and some antiseptic wipes, for me this is because my immune system is lousy and hospitals are full of Germs. I know that hospitals have their own cleaners and ways of sanitizing things but it's for my own peace of mind, the surface disinfectant is good for spraying on toilet seats and tray tables before using. The hand gel is particularly useful in situations where you can't get out of bed to wash your hands before you eat or if you have to use a commode. I take antiseptic wipes as i'm allergic to plasters and micropore so usually have to try hold cotton wool on where they've taken needles/cannulas out. it can get messy.

Now onto the home comforts....

Its really hard to sleep in hospital, it's unfamiliar, noisy, nearly always too hot and they always wake you up nice and early to ask if you want a cup of tea - i love this so much I take noise cancelling headphones and an eye mask. This means i don't have to wait for lights out to sleep and the tea ladies don't bother trying to disturb me for tea or coffee. 
I also always carry a spare phone charger as my phone is literally my life line and some concentrated squash as i can't stand tap water, don't ask me why i, i don't know i just can't. I tend to put some in my water jug once it's filled up so i actually drink it and stay hydrated.

For some reason hospital air always dries me out i don't know if its air conditioning or the chemicals they use to clean with but i always end up with sore dry lips, sore throat and dry eyes, to counteract this i pack these:

Halls soothers for my throat, chewing gum to keep my mouth from drying out and to cover up nasty medication tastes, dry eye drops (just from asda) and some lip balm, this particular lip balm is an amazing brand called crazy rumours, its vegan and tends to work really really well. It also comes in lots of funky flavours like gingerbread, raspberry sherbert, amaretto and lots of other and this one's Mocha. I have a slight obsession with lipbalms and have some everywhere i go. You can buy Crazy rumours from lots of places but i get mine from Holland and Barrett. If you have Sjogren's or something similar these may also be essentials.


Lets face it hospitals are boring. If your conscious and "with it" enough it's always a good idea to take some form of entertainment. If you cant use it visitors may. I take an adult colouring book, colouring pencils, my beautiful journal (paperchase £12), some crafts and my phone. My phone always has at least one playlist on spotify and usually one or two audiobooks from audible. The Bloglovin app is always good as i can read all the latest posts from my favourite blogs. Just saying.... if you did yknow like this blog, i have a Blogloving button in my "follow me" section *hint hint*!

Finally to make my life and the doctors and Nurses lives easier i take a folder with my medical notes, repeat prescriptions and a map of the hospital. You can get what's called a medical summary notes print out from your GP that lists all your confirmed diagnoses, this is handy and is usually free.  If you have EDS i recommend getting a medical info card from EDS UK here. Not a lot of medical professionals have a good understanding of EDS and how to manage it. These cards explain the condition and warn medical professionals what to look out for and how to treat someone with EDS without putting them at unnecessary risk. If you don't have EDS or are curious what it is click here
This all fits quite nicely into my anna smith purple skull laptop messenger bag, its quite tatty now as i used to use it for university and then as my laptop case but i still love it. It sits just inside the bedroom door and my family and friends know where it is so anyone with a key can just grab it for me. I've asked paramedics to grab it before they wheel me away to hospital and they have been quite happy to do this as the folder also makes their lives easier.
continuing the theme of practicality, if your heading into hospital for a planned stay or op make sure you have planned for the big stuff, it sounds silly but make sure you know how your getting to the hospital and how your getting home. Having plan A and plan B for getting home and to the hospital may also be good. some things to think about:
* will you be well enough/ alert / safe to drive yourself?
* will you be able to use public transport?
*if you have a ride is there someone else that could also give you a lift if anything happens to plan A?
*Do you know if you will be travelling with any equipment aids / medical devices etc?
*have you got change for the car park / blue badges

When you get home will you need someone to take care of you, have you got enough food/ water / meds to last if you cant get out to the shops. Do you have a plan B if your stay ends up been longer than anticipated, have you got someone that can babysit / pet sit / house sit if you need it?
Lastly going into hospital is never pleasant, i dont think its supposed to be but with some foresight and planing it can be bearable.

I hope this post has been helpful. If you think ive missed anything important or have any suggestions / questions just comment below. If your reading this as your anticipating a hospital stay i wish you a comfortable stay and speedy exit!

Laura 
Sending spoons








No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

Popular Posts