logo_picture

Sunday 6 November 2016

Bath bombs and taking a break


I didn't post last week as I had a very tough week both physically and mentally so decided to take a step back, utilise self care and do some craft projects that were just for me. If you want to know more about self care i wrote a whole series that starts here. I apologise for the not very photogenic photos but i'm still not 100%.

While i was having a break I made this beautiful dream catcher just for me:


I'm torn between making more and listing them in the sending spoons store or keeping it as a hobby just for me. What do you think?

To keep myself busy I've been making bath bombs to give as small presents for Christmas. I thought I'd share how to make them and what I learnt from my disastrous first attempt.

The recipe:
1 cup bicarb (baking soda)
1/2 cup citric acid
1/2 cup epsom salts (I use Dr salts eucalyptus muscle therapy salts)
1 tsp water
2 tsp essential oil (I used lavender)
3 tsp oil (I used coconut oil. If solid microwave for 20 seconds first)
Extras like food colouring, shimmer, sugar stars etc

1.Add all the dry ingredients together (add petals too if using) and mix well.
2.Add the liquid ingredients together, including the food colouring and shimmer.
3.Carefully add the liquid to the dry a drop at a time whilst stirring. If you accidentally add a bit too much stir quicker until absorbed.


4.Once all the liquid is absorbed you should have the consistency of wet sand and it should hold its shape when squeezed together.
5.Fill a circular mold a little bit over, (for a mould i'm using a christmas decoration featuring Olaf from frozen, you can buy proper moulds or even cut a tennis ball in half for a mould.

It's important to fill it quite tightly and make sure it's firmly in place.
6.push the two halves together and leave to dry. 
I put mine in the fridge for 4 hours to dry.





Tips:
  • To make different colours in one bath bomb, separate the dry mix into different bowls then add food colouring and mix before piling into layers in the mould.
  • To put something in the centre of the bath bomb make a small hole in both halves and fill with goodies then press together.
  • For petals on the top add petals to mould first then press mixture in.
  • If you make a batch that reacts too quickly or doesn't work it makes a great toilet cleaner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

Popular Posts