logo_picture

Sunday 21 August 2016

Review of Harry Potter and The Cursed Child

It was my 28th birthday on the 18th August and one of my gifts from my amazing friend/neighbour/carer was this book:

 
 
*******Spoiler alert *********
I was unsure how I would get on with it at first as I was aware it was written like a script and was in fact a play.
 
I finished it in 2 days and loved it! I loved how there were so many expectations placed on Albus because of who he was, just as Harry had found when he reached Hogwarts. I also love how there are similarities between the two such as Albus' sense of adventure and willingness to challenge the status quo and their loyalty to their friends. Despite this Albus is convinced that he is a disappointment to his father.
 
I love the awkward moments between Albus and Harry as Harry struggles with fatherhood. I also love the way these scenes are written as there is so much unsaid that you sense between the lines.
I was pleased to see that the main characters were back and had developed, grown in the time between books, with Draco still been an arrogant twat but mellowing as he goes through the struggle of been a 'single father' whose son is in danger.
 
What I also likes is that when the Time Turner took them back, the resulting changes seemed to answer the 'what ifs?' from the books. Questions such as what if cedric diggory wasn't killed, what if voldemort won and what if Ron and heroine never got together?
 
I felt that the final fight with Delphi could have been a bit longer as it all seemed to be over too quickly for me. The touching scene at the end with Harry reliving the moment he became an orphan this time with his family and friends by his side was almost a tear jerker.
 
There's something still creepy about voldemort saying "haaaaaarrry potteeer" even now.
 
This was a great read and it made me feel all nostalgic again, remembering my excitement at reading the original series and I hope there are more books to follow, I understand that this may not be what everyone wants, fearing that if the series was extended it would loose some of its 'magic'. (you see what I did there?:p) But I still love to revisit these character's and would like to continue seeing them grow and develop over time.
 
Now I need something else to get hooked into, any suggestions?
 
As always thanks for reading,
Laura:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

Popular Posts